You’ve probably seen lots of advertisements on TV and social media about diet shakes that claim to help shrink your waist down a few sizes in a matter of weeks. So, are they true? And if they are, how best can you utilize each shake serving so as to get maximum benefits? First and foremost let me inform you that one shoe doesn’t fit all, therefore, find out what your body needs, and then feed it what it requires by following the guidelines below:
- Ensure your protein levels are either more than or equal to the carbohydrate amounts in your shake.
- To get the nutritional benefits equivalent to a meal, ensure your shake contains minerals, dietary fiber, vitamins, carbohydrates andproteins necessary for your body.
- Use organic, fresh vegetables and fruits as often as possible.
- Choose a meal you wish to replace and maintain consistency going forward
- Limit diet shakes to a maximum of two meals a day
The beauty of diet shakes
Did you know that you can make simple, yet delicious diet shakes right in your kitchen using everyday items? It’s true that the ingredients don’t always have to be store-bought. After all, if you are like me, you will easily get bored by having the same thing over and over again. So what do you do? You spice things up by introducing new flavors to your shakes so that you are able to follow up on your weight loss goals.
In short, you must allow your creative side to spring into action so that your dieting plan becomes one to look forward to. Whether store-bought or home-made, diet shakes can always be manipulated to suit your taste buds. Besides helping you lose weight, they can help detox the body, improve bowel movements and last but not least, keep you hydrated.
Recipes using fresh ingredients
Below are some ingenious recipes that are sure to bring the dazzle and sparkle to your fitness journey, so that you can join others just like you as they sip their way to slimness.
Tropical Morning Smoothie
- a cup of fresh pineapple chunks
- 6 ounces of plain Greek yogurt(non-fat)
- a cup of frozen/fresh mango chunks
- 2 tablespoons of ground flaxseed
- 1 chopped frozen banana
- A small amount of non-fat milk
Peanut butter and banana smoothie
- a cup of fat-free plain yogurt
- ¼ ripe banana
- 2 tablespoons of unsalted peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon of honey
- 4 ice cubes
- a cup of fat-free milk
Vanilla yogurt and blueberry smoothie
- 1 cup of soy milk/ skimmed milk
- 1 cup of fresh blueberries
- 6 ounces of vanilla yogurt
- 1 tablespoon of flaxseed oil
- Some ice ora cup of frozen blueberries
Sweet spinach smoothie
- 1 or 2 tablespoons of fresh lime juice
- 2 tablespoons of chopped avocado
- 15 red or green grapes
- 2 cups of spinach leaves
- 6 ounces of non-fat Greek yogurt
- 1 ripe pear which is peeled and chopped
All the above recipes are based purely on fresh farm produce and they require non-fat milk for best results. Each is prepared by blending together all the ingredients while slowly adding the milk depending on the consistency.
If you are familiar with weight loss shakes, then you must know that protein powders or formulas form the largest percentage of diet shakes because of the numerous benefits associated with them. Preparation does not necessarily require the use of a blender. In this case, however, a blender is required because of the additional ingredients besides water which will be used.
Mint chocolate green protein smoothie
- Chocolate protein powder
- Peppermint extract
- Chocolate chips
Coffee lovers’ protein shakes
- Almond milk
- Vanilla protein powder
- a cup of coffee
- Ripe banana
Place all items in a blender and add milk as you go on to ensure that the shake is drinkable. Once done, pour it into a glass and drink to your fill. In the event that you need to go out for a while, prepare enough to carry with you so that you are able to follow up on your routine even when not at home.
Besides facilitating the loss of weight, diet shakes can equally improve or boost your immunity. The raw form in which nutrients in the shake are available enhances the fast uptake of nutrients by the blood, as little to no digestion takes place.
Try out even more recipes by using liquids like almond, non-fat milk or soy milk as your base, especially when using protein powders. Lastly ensure you put in a good amount of healthy fats, lean proteins and high-fiber carbohydrates that keep you full for longer.